Friday, November 2, 2012

Epic Chaos Space Marines Battle


My friend Charles and I got through 3 turns of our epic battle yesterday before having to call it quits. We both brought 2,500 points and Chaos Space Marines. He brought a Khorne list with Oblits and a Defiler in the heavy support slots, a Land Raider and 3 Rhino's with Dirge Casters on them - that he used to great affect.

It was a Big Guns Never Tire mission with 5 objectives and Hammer and Anvil deployment. A TON of terrain as you can see in the above picture - with no less than 20 pieces of terrain (17 total but a couple were putting smaller pieces together, just 1 shy of the maxium amount of terrain on a board in 6th edition).

I brought along:

HQ:Huron Blackheart1160
Typhus1230
Chaos Lord165
Mark of Slaanesh15
Burning Brand30
Troops:Chaos Cultist Zombies2090
Chaos Cultist Zombies2090
Plague Marines5120
Plasma Gun (2)30
Combi-plasma10
Chaos Rhino135
Havoc Launcher12
Combi-melta10
Warpflame Gargoyles5
Plague Marines5120
Plasma Gun (2)30
Combi-plasma10
Chaos Rhino135
Havoc Launcher12
Combi-melta10
Warpflame Gargoyles5
Chaos Space Marines10140
CCW (7)14
Plasma Gun15
Missile Launcher15
Combi-melta10
Veterans of the Long War10
Noise Marines10180
Veterans of the long war10
sonic blaster (5)15
Blast master30
Doom Siren15
Icon of Excess30
Heavy Support:Havocs575
Lascannons (3)60
Chaos Rhino135
Havoc Launcher12
Combi-bolter5
Warpflame Gargoyles5
Havocs575
Missile Launchers (4)60
Chaos Rhino135
Havoc Launcher12
Combi-bolter5
Warpflame Gargoyles5
Chaos Predator75
Sid Sponsoons w/Hvy Bolters20
Havoc Launcher12
Warpflame Gargoyles5
Havocs575
Autocannons (4)40
Fast Attack:Heldrake1170
Baleflamer0
Chaos Bikers370
Meltaguns (2) on bike20
Mark of Nurgle18
Veterans of the long War3

Deployment went fairly straightforward with no disappointments, and I kept Huron and his 20 zombies and Typhus and his 20 zombies and my bikers and Heldrake in reserves. First round for both of us was pretty bleh. We pockmarked each other (he barely touched me at all) but nothing significant. At first because I'm such an excitable newb, I shot at his Landraider before moving. He allowed me to do my movement phase and I gave him back his Landraider I had popped in one turn. I would later in turn 2 immobilize it, but all I managed in the re-start of turn 1 was to take out one of it's twin-linked lascannons.

Round 2 got a little more serious but still no major losses on either side - he did manage to take out a Havoc squad (the one that immobilized his Land Raider) and got first blood though. He experienced the terror of Soulblaze with no less than 5 markers on a unit and made all 5 "saves" so didn't have to take anymore wounds. Everything in reserve except my bikers came in on this turn.

Round 3 started getting really serious for both of us, as I took out Kharn the Betrayer, brought in my bikers (thanks to Huron's warlord trait) in his backyard and started getting the attention of his Defiler, and pushing forward with my forces, taking out the rest of his transports. He also got to strike back pretty hard though as his units finally gotten into assault.

It is debatable on how it would of went if we had gone the whole nine yards. He had me pretty solid in the assaults on my table half and only Huron and his zombies really stood in his way - easy targets for him. However, I was getting into his backyard with scoring units and I believe we would of ended up trading objectives.

We ended the game though as I said before at the end of round 3 and the score was 9-9, tied game.
I personally thoroughly enjoyed this game. We had a lot of stops and starts, ruling questions form the big bad book and our new codex and no doubt about it - slow played like hell. Yet was one of the few games we've played (at least my behalf) that it felt like everything was coming together - the rules, the strategy, the lists, all the components of a game was finally coming together and at a pace I could "grasp" what the heck was going on and at a level I didn't feel like a baby seal, nor did I feel like I was a demi-god striding forth across the game table. In a phrase - it was a great balanced gaming experience, with the only thing lacking was our (mine actually as I had company to go home to) inability to finish the game.

I was really impressed with my Havoc squads. They reached out and tagged stuff left and right. My Heldrake was beast and I also really like the combination of Havoc Launchers and Warpflame Gargoyles on the Rhinos. The combi-meltas on the Rhinos fizzled this game, but I will definitely take them again.

Anyways, looking forward to the next game with Chaos Space Marines, though at this point since I borrowed so many models to do this game and my last game, will be scaled down until I get the chance to build up my own Chaos Space marines army more.

Until later!

No comments:

Post a Comment