Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A Newb'd 1st Game in 6th

The short version:



Grey Knights vs IG. 90 minutes, 3 full rounds before store closing. GK 10 win over IG 7. If the game had gone on though, GK would of lost I’m pretty sure.



The long version:



IG makeup – a ton of troops. Couple Chimera’s, couple Hellhounds, couple Leman Russ’s. Warlord had Divide to Conquer trait (-1 to opponents Reserve rolls). GK’s had expensive troops like Paladins, a Fortress of Redemption, Purifiers, couple Dreadnoughts. GK’s Warlord had Intimidating Presence (effects leadership of opponent within 12”). Deployment was Hammer and Anvil (short table edges) and the Mission was Crusade with 5 primary objectives. GK held 3 objectives (9 points) and got First Blood (1 point) while IG held 2 objectives (6 points) and got Linebreaker (1 point).



As severely outnumbered that I was and with very limited ability to shoot AV14 I turtled up behind the Fortress and on my 3 objectives. Thus in 3 rounds of play I did very little other than survive. My Dreadnought managed to destroy a Chimera in round 3. While at the time of play this was rather a frustrating battle as I was playing in a style not normally mine and limited at what I could shoot at during the turns we played, review did prove what a cinematic play 6th edition offers though and I think turned out really well.



IG concentrated on the first 3 turns to moving his tanks up the battlefield and taking out my Fortress of Redemption, which ended up doing very little against IG. In a final gambit, IG shot out 4 of 5 Purifiers on one of my objectives, but the 5th unit managed to survive at least 20 wounds between cover and armor saves. The big moment was the very end. IG needed to roll 6 inches or better in order to get the assault off and rolled 4, leaving his unit just short of being able to assault, therefore didn’t get the assault off, allowing  GK to hold the objective at the end of the turn – otherwise would have been a tied game.



Lessons of note:



Fortress of Redemption – I’m not sure if this is a point sink or not. While it didn’t last long under the fire of IG, it did take a lot of firepower to break it and since I was turtled up, was one of the few targets IG had. Not quite sure yet how it would hold up against other armies. Anyone with difficulty against AV14 though would have problems.



AV14 and GK – This is a weakness but one that can be overcome with Allies.



Turtling – Just not my style.



IG – wow they can hurt.



Missions, battlefield, deployment – A++ in 6th Edition!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment