Monday, May 9, 2011

Blood Angels Omnibus


I finished reading James Swallow’s Blood Angels Omnibus last night and was astounded by what I had read. I am a fan of Space Opera and it usually fits into 1 of 3 categories: Good, Bad, Ok. The Blood Angels Omnibus (2 novels and a back story short story) created a new category that has previously not existed in my mind: Great.
“The road to hell is paved with Good Intentions” has always struck a chord with me. In my own personal life, there have been many a thing that I have done with the best of intentions and thought were “good”, only to have horrendous consequences. This story focuses on that type of good intentions and while we are aware almost from the outset that this can not end well, I found myself drawn so into the story that I found myself at times thinking that, no the best can come out of this. In a way it does, but in the aftermath of tragedy, both on a personal and on a community level.

The story is of two brothers related by birth, who are also brothers in arms of a Space Marine chapter called the Blood Angels. Though the word is ever only used once in the entirety of the series, they are Vampires. The entire chapter. Colliding with this mythos, is the fact that these Blood Angels are mankind’s protectors in the far off future and the greatest of them, the Primarch (long dead) is in essence, an angel. Thus the whole Blood Angels name. One brother becomes Sanguinus reborn, while the other remains true to his heritage, the Blood Angels. In the end amongst demons, traitors, lies and deceit, paved in good intentions, the Blood Angels splinter amongst themselves and the brothers Akiro and Raven find themselves locked in not only personal mortal combat with each other, but the hopes and dreams of the future for the Blood Angels.

James Swallow has done an excellent job in creating an epic Space Opera, that I totally fell in love with. The like, which I have not read before and hope that I can find again.

** reposted from my Exploring Uncertainty blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment