Friday, September 23, 2011

Book Review: Galaxy in Flames



Where Horus Rising excelled at character development and False Gods pushed the plot forward, the strength in Galaxy in Flames by Ben Counter was in the detailed action and combat scenes. It was difficult for me to get into this book for the first 40-50 pages but I am glad I slogged through them, because it turned out to be an awesome action-filled combat book. Much as movies like Saving Private Ryan brought World War 2 to gruesome life, so did Galaxy in Flames did for the Horus Heresy and the battle of Isstvan III.

It is a toss up for me on which book I liked better so far - Horus Rising or Galaxy in Flames. This book was all about the combat and the detailed battle scenes were second to none. All through these first three books of the Horus Heresy, you can't help but wish that the Warmaster would change his direction - though as a player we already know the answer to that.

Well written, I'm looking forward to the next book in the series and learning more about Garro. The Flight of the Eisenstein is also by James Swallow, who wrote the Blood Angels books and my favorite series (Blood Angels Omnibus) that I've read in the 40K Universe up to this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment