Thursday, September 15, 2011

Newb Army A.D.D. Part 3



When I left off last, I had narrowed down my selection of potential second armies to the following:

  • Blood Angels
  • Chaos Demons
  • Chaos Space Marines
  • Dark Eldar
  • Space Marines
I've decided that in the wake of Battleforces availability and my own desire of collecting, that a possibility will be to make two armies at the same time. This might not make sense though depending on the army/armies I choose. Let's look at the possibilities.

The Blood Angels is a strong army, with fluff that I really like. No, I'm not a romantic emo-vamp lover, but I like the Blood Angels from what I've read (codex, Omnibus) and from what I've seen on the gaming table.

The Dark Eldar is an awesome looking army, with a roguish style that appeals to me (I usually end up playing Rogue characters in RPG's, MMO's). I like the fluff, their models, the tactics. I don't even mind the fact that they are glass cannons.

Chaos Demons. Awesome looking models and from what I've heard, a decent army.

Chaos Space Marines. According to various reports I've heard and read, I really like the versatility of this army. I like the fluff and think that some of the traitor marine chapters look really good in the modeling aspect.

The Space Marines. I have no doubt that while it will take years, I'll have plenty of Space Marines. I'm particularly interested in building chapter fluff armies, including Ravenguard, Salamanders, White Scars, Ultramarines, Howling Gryphons and Carcharodons. Maybe even pre-heresy Luna Wolves.

As I mentioned in the beginning it may make sense in making two armies at once depending on the mix. For examples:

  • Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Demons. It is my understanding that Chaos Space marines can have Chaos Demons in their ranks. To me it makes sense to build these two armies together, with perhaps a little more emphasis on the Chaos Space Marines and finishing off with a Chaos Demon army when building them.
  • Space Marines chapters. This makes sense to me, though also means that while building the armies I may be playing fluff, with two chapters representing until each chapter is done. Not sure which two chapters I'd start with though.
  • The Blood Angels and Dark Eldar IMO are pretty similar and if I go with either of these armies, while I am sure I will get the other I'm not so sure I'm interested in building them together if that makes sense. It just doesnt' feel like a good mesh like the above two examples. Whichever army I do go with between these two though also means I'll be pushing the other one back until a later date.
With this all now laid out, I think I really like the idea of putting together two armies at once. This means by the end of the project, I'll have 3 armies to field. Stay tuned for the next post when I declare the winner. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment