Monday, September 12, 2011

Newb Army A.D.D. Part 1



So here I am, just getting started on my first army - the Grey Knights. Scheduled to perfection, or not, I should be fielding a full 2000 point army by my birthday in March or shortly thereafter with some for a sideboard.

Yet, I'm already thinking of my next army. The one that will come after the Grey Knights. I'm considering making purchases for it as early as the end of this year or the beginning of next year while still finishing up my first army. Army A.D.D. is in full swing.

Not many people know this - actually only 1 or 2, but my first army was going to be Space Marines. Then, even as I was budgeting out and preparing to buy quite the expansive army (used) the Blood Angels came out and caught my eye. My first game to end in something other than a loss was proxing a Blood Angels army (a tie, I've yet to win, though in fairness have barely played just over a dozen games).

Then the Grey Knights came out and I was ready to start buying my first army and they were all shiney and new, seemed easy to paint, had some powerful options and I really like the fluff. Grey Knights it is and I'm very happy with them and looking forward to playing them more. It's even looking like by next month I may be able to get my game on in a more consistent manner.

Perhaps because I do like to plan out so far in advance, I'm in the mode lately of trying to figure out what armies I want to eventually have and which one should go next. Or should I build two armies at the same time? I figure I'm not the only one with 40K Army A.D.D. so I decided to write about it - not just for my own sake but other newbs out there as well. So let's look at the army choices out there:

  • Dark Angels
  • Black Templars
  • Blood Angels
  • Grey Knights
  • Space Wolves
  • Space Marines (various chapters, themes, pre and post heresy)
  • Chaos Space Marines (renegades, pre and post heresy, etc)
  • Chaos Demons
  • Orks
  • Tau
  • Eldar (various Craft worlds)
  • Dark Eldar (various Kabals, Cults and Covens)
  • Imperial Guard
  • Sisters of Battle
  • Tyranids
  • Necrons
So a lot of choices to made and thats not counting the themes, organization, historical, etc. that are within each of the armies themselves. Before moving on in another post, a couple of things I know I need to consider are:

  1. My current Army. The Grey Knights is an Elite army, good for mid-range shooting and a middle of the board game strategy (for the most parts). They are MEQ (Space Marine Equivelant) and are indeed Space Marines; just specilaized. If, I want to go in another direction with my second army, I need to keep this in mind.
  2. Do I want to go with more shooty or more assaulty with my next Army? What strategies do I want to work with?
In my next post on the subject, I'm going to explore what armies I don't want to go for and then start looking at those who may be contenders.

No comments:

Post a Comment