Monday, September 5, 2011

Book Review: Horus Rising



After reading this great novel, I have to say that I am glad I waited until I understood some of the 40K Universe history before picking this book up. While the book is written in such a way, that the universe will reveal itself to you as you go, there are some reveals in this book that just make so much more sense and has much more of an awe factor if you wait until you have some of the basic concepts of the 40K universe down. Specifically who are the Xenos, the Imperium, Chaos and perhaps a little bit about Space marines in general.

This information I came across outside of the book through the fluff in codexes and the general rulebook, along with conversations with friends more knowledgeable about the 40K universe than I. The result is that I was able to follow the novel pretty well and was genuinely surprised and completely understood the significance of some of the reveals in this book.

I've heard good things about Dan Abnett the author and had even listened to an interview with him before picking up the book. I did find it a tad slow getting into for the first 30 or so pages, but by then I was sucked in and kept coming back for more as the story progressed. So much so, by the last third of the book I had a hard time putting it down at all.

Strongly recommended but IMO more for someone who has at least some of the basics of the 40K universe down first. I think the reader, like myself, will get just that much more enjoyment out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment